Avocado Taco recipe packs flavor and health into a simple meal. This recipe is always a favorite in our kitchen. Whether you make them for dinner or a quick snack, Avocado Tacos will please your hungry crowd. Healthy, budget friendly, and easy to make.
- Avocado instead of refried beans. (High in fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K, and potassium)
- Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream. (Zero fat, non-dairy, promotes digestion)
- Corn taco shells. (Gluten free, low carb)
This recipe uses simple to find ingredients. No hunting at the grocery store and you get to visit the fresh produce area. Who knows what you may find? Maybe some fruit, leafy greens, fresh vegetables or spicy hot peppers. (Oh wait…Is that cauliflower on sale?)
Lets make tacos
Steps of the Avocado Taco Recipe
#1 – Brown the Ground Beef
Heat up a frying pan, add green onions and ground beef. Brown the hamburger.
💡 If you use a ceramic pan, you can skip adding cooking oil.
Once the ground beef is browned, add hot sauce and water. Allow the mixture to cook on medium high until mixture thickens. (5-7 minutes)
#2 – Preparing Avocado Mixture
While the meat is cooking, add fresh avocados to a mixing bowl. Mash avocados with potato masher. Alternatively, you can use a food processor.
Add chopped cilantro, green onions, and lime juice. Mix thoroughly.
#3 – Assemble the Tacos
- Spread avocado mixture on a soft corn shell.
- Top with shredded cheese. We like a Mexican blend of cheese.
- Cover cheese with ground beef direct from the pan.
- Add two spoonfuls of Greek yogurt. (optional)
- Top with petite diced tomatoes. We like “No Salt Added” brands.
Tasty, delicious tacos with healthy ingredients featuring avocado spread, greek yogurt, and no-salt tomatoes served on a gluten-free corn tortilla. Always a favorite in our kitchen.
- 1 lbs of ground beef (85/15 or better)
- 2 avocados
- 1 bunch of green onions
- 8 oz of shredded cheese (mexican blend)
- 1 cup of plain non-fat greek yogurt
- 1 can of petite diced tomatoes (no-salt variety)
- 12 soft corn tortillas (read nutritional label closely!)
- 1 tbsp of lime juice
- 1 cup hot sauce
- Brown the meat with 1/3 of the chopped onions
- Add the hot sauce and 1 cup of water. Reduce to medium heat. Cook until mixture begins to thicken.
- In a mixing, mash the avocados with a potato masher.
- Add rest of the onions and lime juice. Thoroughly mix.
- Assemble the taco.
- On a flat tortilla, spread a layer of avocado mixture
- Top with shredded cheese
- Cover cheese with meat mixture direct from pan
- Spread 2 spoonfuls of yogurt on the meat (optional)
- Top with diced tomatoes and serve
Keywords: mexican, taco, avocado, greek yogurt
The Avocado Taco recipe is often met with resistance. For many taco lovers, this recipe does not taste right. Oddly enough, it contains all the essential ingredients of traditional tacos. We choose this combination because of the health benefits. Over time, we believe Avocado Tacos taste better than traditional recipes. They are certainly healthier than a bag of fast food tacos. 😀