This easy taco soup recipe is a mainstay on the Dinner table and in our every day recipe catalog. Likewise, it makes a superb lunch choice. That is to say, the soup is healthy, filling, simple to prepare, budget friendly, and easy to carry. Make a big batch today!
Years ago, I was at friend’s house and they asked if I could cook up some awesome tacos. After searching their refrigerator and pantry for ingredients, I knew tacos were not the best idea. This is where the simple taco soup idea was born…for me that is. Whether you use fresh ingredients or canned goods, taco soup is a rewarding option.
We adore this recipe. For the most part our recipe is in line with the popular recipes on the web with a few notable exceptions. Read about what we found below…but first let’s get the good stuff – our delicious healthy easy taco soup recipe.Print
Easy Taco Soup Recipe
This easy taco soup recipe is a mainstay in our recipe catalog and on our dinner table. It makes a superb lunch choice too. The soup is healthy, filling, simple to prepare, budget friendly, and delicious any time of the year. Make a big batch today!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 60 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 lbs of Ground Beef (85/15)
- 1 large white onion (minced)
- 2 packets of taco mix
Try our Homemade Low-sodium Taco Mix
- 2 tbsp of cumin seeds (powder ok)
- 2 tbsp of crushed red peppers
- 1 can of pinto beans (14.5 oz)
- 1 can of black beans (14.5 oz)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 1 can of corn (14.5 oz)
- 1 cup of Worcestershire sauce
- 3 jalapeno peppers (chopped)
Additional Toppings (optional)
- Shredded cheese (white cheddar)
- Scallions (cut)
- Avocado slices
- Sour cream or Greek Yogurt
- In a large stew pot, heat 1/2 the onion, 1 tbsp of cumin seeds, 1 tbsp of crushed peppers.
- Add the meat. Add rest of cumin seeds, and crushed peppers. Add worcestershire sauce and stir.
- Cook meat on high for five minutes. Break up the meat while it cooks.
- Add rest of the onions and chopped peppers. Add taco seasoning mix and 1 cup of water. Stir the mixture. Cook on high for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, black beans and pinto beans. Stir together.
- Add two cups of water. Stir. Turn down to simmer, put on the lid and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add corn. Stir. Let simmer for another 20 minutes.
Want a better taste? Add 1 cup of water and simmer another hour.
Soup Rule: The longer it simmers, the better it tastes.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl (200 g)
- Calories: 314
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 640 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 23 g
- Cholesterol: 65 mg
Keywords: taco soup, recipe
Shocking Taco Soup Ingredient Choice
While researching this recipe, I was shocked. Eight of the top ten recipes call for “1 packet of Taco Seasoning”. Okay…Call me a purist but seriously folks, a packet of taco seasoning mix!?! Has anyone ever read the nutritional label!?! Those packets are serious salt bombs. Even more, they are a collection of chemical terms that I certainly have no idea what they mean. In short, make your own taco seasoning mix using fresh ingredients. See how easy it is!
Using Canned Goods in Soup Recipes
Canned goods? What happened to “Mr. Fresh Ingredient” guy? I can give you this one due to the convenience. However, I recommend studying the nutritional labels for high levels of sodium. For instance, a typical can of tomatoes will have 200mg or so of Sodium. “No Salt” varieties have 15mg. Certainly, a big difference. Likewise, look for “No Salt” varieties of corn and beans too. Another feature to look for when buying canned goods is “Organic Non-GMO”. Yes, they will cost more but we feel it is worth the few extra pennies.
Canned Chili Peppers
Many easy taco soup recipes call for “canned peppers”. In contrast, our recipe uses fresh chili peppers. I am mystified by their choice of canned peppers. Fresh, organic hot peppers are readily available, cheap, and simple to prepare. Why would people ever use canned peppers? Someone needs to help me on this one. Please post a comment.
Easy Taco Soup Recipe Video
Where are the Avocados?
I love using Avocados in Mexican recipes because they pack so many nutritional benefits and taste good too. So why no Avocado? Simple. My favorite market had them on sale and by the time I got there, the Avocados were all gone. I wonder if they have Organic, No-Salt added avocados in a can? 🙂
Taco Soup is a Great Lunch Idea
Soup is always a great lunch idea and taco soup is no exception. In fact, with all the beautiful color, spicy taste, and hearty texture, this easy taco soup recipe may be the perfect lunch treat. Storing a few servings in the freezer is a good idea too.
A Few Other Taco Soup Recipes
- 30 Minutes (Super Easy) Chicken Taco Soup – MmGood
- Instant Pot Low Carb Taco Soup – LowCarbYum
- Crock Pot Low-Carb Taco Soup – Beyer Beware
- Weight Watchers Taco Soup – All She Cooks