Making your own Taco seasoning mix is incredibly simple. Moreover, the mix is far healthier than store-bought mixes. And did we mention that it is cheaper!?! Once you try this, you may never buy taco seasoning again.
First, let’s just jump in with the recipe. After that, you can read about the benefits of homemade taco seasoning mix.Print
Making your own Taco seasoning mix is incredibly simple. Moreover, the mix is far healthier than store-bought mixes. Once you try this, you may never buy taco seasoning again.
- 3 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of salt (NO)
- 2 teaspoon cilantro flakes
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon of sea salt (NO-Quit that! 🙂 )
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Mix all ingredients in airtight container. Put on lid and shake.
Label container. Store in dry place.
When making tacos, use 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning mix and ½ cup of water per 1 pound of meat.
- Serving Size: 2 tbsp
- Calories: 0 kCal
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 10mg
- Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0g
Keywords: spice, taco mix, taco seasoning, homemade, low sodium, all natural
Store bought Taco Seasoning Mix
For years, I bought mixes without even thinking. The taco formula was simple: making tacos means buy taco mix. Finally, I bought a pair of reading glasses. That is to say, I started reading the nutritional labels. Here are the startling results.
- Every packet we examine is high in Sodium. Above all, this is the most disturbing fact.
|Taco seasoning mix||Sodium per serving||# of servings||Total sodium|
|McCormick – Hot*||390 mg||6||2340 mg|
|Old El Paso*||300 mg||6||1800 mg|
|Taco Bell*||300 mg||6||1800 mg|
|Homemade Mix||10 mg||6||60 mg|
* Data collected from Nutritional data printed on the package. (December 15, 2018)
- Two of the three packets contain complex chemical ingredients. See table below. Do I really want to eat Silicon Dioxide? 🙁
|Taco seasoning Mix||Ingredients|
|McCormick – Hot*||SPICES (INCLUDING CHILI PEPPER, CUMIN, PAPRIKA, RED PEPPER), ONION, WHEY (MILK), SALT, GARLIC, POTATO STARCH, AND CITRIC ACID.|
|Old El Paso*||Chili pepper, salt, maltodextrin, spice, onion powder, corn starch, yellow corn flour. Contains less than 2% of: partially hydrogenated soybean oil, silicon dioxide (anticaking agent), sunflower and/or cottonseed oil, natural flavor, ethoxyquin (preservative).|
|Taco Bell*||Wheat, Flour, Salt, Dried Garlic, Maltodextrin, Chili Peppers, Spice, Dried Onions, Monosodium Glutamate, Paprika, Sugar, Contains less than 2% of Silicon Dioxide As An Anticaking Agent, Soybean Oil, Malic Acid.|
|Homemade Mix||Chili powder, ground cumin, black pepper, cilantro flakes, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper flakes, and dried oregano.|
* Data collected from Ingredients list printed on the package. (December 15, 2018)
Related Recipe: Avocado Tacos
Other Taco mix recipes
- Easy Homemade Taco Seasoning – House of Yumm
This homemade taco seasoning takes minutes to put together and creates a flavorful mix. Use this mix for creating the best taco meat.
- Taco Seasoning Mix – Meg’s Everyday Indulgence
You will never buy another package of taco seasoning again. This is super cheap to make and tastes fresher than any store bought packet.
- How to Make Taco Seasoning | The Pioneer Woman
Homemade taco seasoning lets you reduce sodium and cut out all additives, preservatives, and coloring. Tastes better than store-bought mixes, too.
- DIY: Homemade Spicy Taco Seasoning – Messy Chef
This recipe is SO easy – just a minute or two of measuring. So raid your spice cabinet and get ready to enjoy some healthier tacos.