This wet burrito recipe will quickly become a favorite in your household. If you are tired of simple burritos, then our fabulous wet burritos are for you, as well as our homemade taco mix recipe. Indeed, try this budget friendly and healthy recipe today.
What is a Wet Burrito?
Super question. In brief, begin with your standard burrito, cover it with spicy salsa, and melt cheese on top. Due to the sauce & cheese, you generally eat wet burritos with a fork, but it is well worth this slight inconvenience. For the history buffs, the Beltline Café in Grand Rapids Michigan is said to have invented the wet burrito in 1966 according to Wikipedia.
Wet Burrito Recipe
- 1 avocado
- 8 oz no salt pinto beans ( about 1/2 can )
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 lbs ground beef (Laura's lean beef)
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 onion (minced)
- 2 Serrano peppers (minced)
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning mix
Wet Burrito Sauce
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 1 tbsp onion
- 1 tbsp cilantro flakes
- 1/2 tbsp crushed peppers
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups yellow cheese
- 1 cup white cheese
- 1 cup spinach roughly chopped
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 4 large burrito tortillas
- Making the bean mix
- Making the meat mixture
- Turn burner on high. In a large skillet, add 1 tbsp cooking oil. Then add onions and peppers. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add 1 lb of hamburger. Break it down using a large wooden spoon. Turn the burner down to medium high. Finish browning the meat.
- Prepare the burritos
- Tuck in each side of tortilla, and roll the tortilla up. (a traditional burrito wrap). Place folded burrito in baking dish. Brush tops of each burrito with some tomatoes or salsa or taco sauce. Repeat steps until baking dish is filled. (should be 4 burritos)
- Place baking dish in oven at 350 F for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and top the burritos with shredded cheese.
- Put back in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Serve hot on plates.
All things considered, this wet burrito recipe is health conscious. Markedly, we use grass fed beef, no salt beans, organic avocados, Greek yogurt and fresh spinach to create perhaps the healthiest burrito recipe ever made. As a matter of fact, comparing to published nutritional facts on Taco Bell’s website, our wet burrito recipe has 32% less calories, 49% less carbohydrates and shockingly 67% less sodium. To repeat, 67% less sodium!
|Our Recipe (1)||Burrito|
|Serving Size||450 g||470 g||450 g||430 g|
|Fat||26 g||29 g||38 g||40 g|
|Carbs||57 g||103 g||128 g||97 g|
|Sodium||760 mg||2280 mg||2570 mg||2140 mg|
Budget Friendly Burritos
Surprisingly, even with all the healthy ingredients, these fabulous wet burritos are budget friendly too. With this in mind, a quick visit to the local taco bell ( No, I didn’t order anything! ) reveals the average cost of the equivalent beef burrito based on weight is $4.38. Conversely, we calculate our burrito is $2.85. ( see table above ) As Robin might say, “Holy awesome burrito Batman”.
Wet Burrito makes a great lunch
Spicy wet burritos are great for lunch because they are inexpensive, filling, and not overly difficult to make. Moreover, by design, the burritos are “soggy”, so they work perfectly when heated in a microwave. Accordingly, wet burritos are not designed to eat with your hands. That is to say, don’t forget to bring silverware for this lunch.
Other Notable Recipes
Great Recipes from the Web
Authentic Mexican Salad – TheBossyKitchen